Monday, 5 November 2012

Boozy Irish Cream Brigadeiros

Boozy Irish Cream Brigadeiros

'Tis the season to bake all things boozy, and I'm throwing myself in head first.

Yup the seasonal respite I was going to provide lasted all of .... well less than 24 hours. I just couldn't help myself.

I woke up this morning with twitchy fingers to start my Christmas baking, momentarily annoyed himself with crazy talk of all the things I had planned to bake before I gave in and started with Number 1 on my list. Kind of like Santa's lst only way yummier.

The Boozy Brigadeiro!!!!

Yeah that's right, I'm taking a Brazilian truffle/sweet/bonbon that's already amazing in its own right and giving it an awesome Irish spin.


Irish Cream Liqueur, mmmmm.

Brigadeiros are pretty darn popular in Brazil and are traditional served at childrens birthday parties.

You can do pretty much anything with these babies as I discovered. I originally was only going to cover them in chocolate flavoured sprinkles so that they looked reminiscent of a regular truffle but after running out of those (I used a whole tub) I used some cocoa powder, which to be honest made them alot easier to roll because my warm hands made the brigadeiros hard to handle pretty quickly. I also experimented with shredded coconut, Icing sugar and colourful sprinkles but i think my favourites are actually the cocoa powder dusted ones. It works so well with the sweetness of the brigadeiro and cuts through it.

You can also make so many different flavours, the choices are pretty limitless.

White Chocolate, Boozy, Coconut, Peanut Butter you name it I'd say you could probably do it.

Boozy Irish Cream Brigadeiros

 And for me the hit of Irish Cream Liqueur in these really makes them something special. and really makes it feel like a festive sweetie. If you wanted to go all out you could even roll them in Christmas sprinkles like snowflakes, gingerbread men or green red and white sprinkles.

The only thing that limits you with these is your imagination.

Also with such a simple list of ingredients there no excuse not too give these a go.

Ingredients:

1 Tin Condensed Milk (397g)
25g / 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
30g / 2 Tbsp Butter
100ml Irish Cream Liqueur

Method:

In a heavy bottomed saucepan mix all of your ingredients together, making sure you sift your cocoa powder or you'll be left with little lumps at the end.

Gently heat on a medium heat.

Keep stirring untill the mixture starts to show the bottom of the saucepan for a couple of seconds (2-3) before it levels of again.

When it does this remove it from the heat and pour the mixture into a glass/ceramic bowl and set aside until it reaches room temperature or you can pop it in the fridge until it reaches a rollable consistency.

It can last in the fridge for about 4 days.

Once ready to roll smear a very small amount of butter over the palms of your hands and roll a small piece of the brigadeiro mixture into a ball and coat in your chosen topping.

Then transfer to a small sweet case or mini cupcake case (Ido suggest this as these sweets are quite soft but if you don't have any don't worry to much,I didn't use them.

If your hands have softened the brigadeiros a little too much you can place them back into the fridge harden up a little bit before serving.




Boozy Irish Cream Brigadeiros


8 comments:

  1. Hey, just wanted to say, I found your blog through Away from the Oven (you left a comment on the article about cliques) and I was incredibly intrigued that you were a Donegal baker. I spent a lot of time in Donegal Town myself, and I'm incredibly impressed that you manage to find various baking supplies there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I think living around here you just have to be extra inventive with the stuff you can get your hands on, or the internet can become a very good friend for ordering bits'n'pieces (although that can get expensive). Thnaks for taking the time to have a wee peek :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for all of the sweet comments that you've left on my blog. Each and every one means so much to me! I also wanted to let you know that I love this post. I've never tasted Brigadeiros, but I've been wanting to give them a try. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thankyou, you're more than welcome. This was the first ones I'd ever made/tasted and I'm hooked. Beware of the addictive qualities these sweets seem to possess haha x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I'm checking out the other Spiked! recipes... these look so delicious and I bet you can't stop at one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. Yup your right they were very addictive :D

      Delete
  6. Hi Tash!
    These look delicious! Thanks so much for participating in the Spiked! Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look amazing Tash! I'm sorry I didn't get around sooner, but I am going through and pinning all of the entries now :)

    ReplyDelete