Saturday, 10 November 2012

Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles

Ah Cinnamon, My spicy winter friend!

For me the ultimate christmassy smell is that of something cinnamony (is that even a word??) baking in the oven.

Now when it comes too cookies I've always been more of a chewy/crispy cookie kinda gal but after trying these I may possibly be converted.


These snickerdoodles, a vanilla cookie smothered in sugar and cinnamon, are soft, fluffy and all cakey and warm out of the oven, were damn divine. I even had the little miss running in and out of the kitchen asking if she could have some more.

However her limit was 1 as I made these so early in the morning and cookies for breakfast don't really count as 1 of your 5 a day (unfortunately).

The smell of these cookies alone has really got me in the festive spirit, and with only a few weeks left till the big day I'm hoping I don't sicken myself of all things Christmas (doubtful but you never know).

I snatched this recipe from the lovely Stephanie Jaworski over at Joy of Baking. I did make some little changes and I halved her original recipe just because I didn't want to be making 30+ cookies at 9 in the morning but if you want that many just double the recipe up again or pop over to Joy of Baking and follow her exact recipe.

This is such a simple cookie but don't let its simplicity fool you. It can certainly hold its own against the chocolate chip cookie or the shortbread.

But don't take my word for it, you have to give it a go yourself.

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:

For the Cookie:

180g / 1 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
115g / 1/2 Cup Butter
150g / 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

For the Topping:

30g / 2 Tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon

Method:

Preheat your oven to 190c/400f and line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.

In a bowl beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.

Then add in your egg until the mixture is well combined and smooth, then beat in the vanilla.

Sift in your flour and baking powder and gently mix, do not over mix.

Then pop the dough into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill, while chilling mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.

Once the 30 minutes is up, take generous teaspoons of the dough and roll into balls.

Then roll them in the sugar/cinnamon until fully coated and place onto your lined baking tray.

Then using either a glass or the palm of your hand, flatten the balls of dough slightly. So they're are roughly 1 1/2 cm thick.

Sprinkle the left over sugar/cinnamon over the top of all the cookies before baking.

Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, then allow to cool fully - or eat them warm out of the oven.

2 comments:

  1. These look so good! Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, They've definitely converted me to soft, fluffy cookies

      Delete