Thursday, 24 January 2013

Chocolate & Strawberry Cookies

Chocolate and Strawberry Cookies

Yet another gift giving holiday is creeping up on us!

Valentines day . . .

Now don't get me wrong I do like Valentines day, I like the cards, the flowers, the chocolates (If I'm lucky enough to get them) but what I don't like is that Christmas for me doesn't spell the end of the year, but the beginning of the gift giving season.

 Christmas, My birthday, The wee ones birthday, Valentines day then mothers day.

Seriously it seems like the first 3 months of the year, when most people are clawing back their losses over Christmas, my family are splurging (when we really shouldn't)

But then I won't lie, I love giving presents especially when they look like these bad boys.

And what says Valentines more than chocolate and strawberries.

So yes, I will be gift giving on Valentines to himself and this is what he will be receiving (and perhaps a onesie, he may tell you they're so not cool but I know he's secretly longing for the comfort of a onesie)

Some gorgeously soft, cakey, rich and chocolatey cookies dotted with sweet and tart strawberries are just what cupid ordered (remember it's so not strawberry season so they're not overly sweet which works perfectly with these indulgent cookies)

Oh yeah! And just too be pretty ironic I used my yoga mat as my 'table cloth' in these photos.

Nothing says indulgence more than laying cookies on your exercise mat.

'It's not my fault I can't work out the cookies have invaded my workout space, Judge them not me'

Chocolate and Strawberry Cookies

Makes 12 Cookies

Ingredients:

130g / 1 Cup Plain Flour
50g / 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Instant Coffee Powder
113g / 1/2 Cup Butter
70g / 1/3 Cup Caster Sugar
70g / 1/3 Cup Soft Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Tsp Strawberry Flavouring (Optional)
1 Egg
125g Fresh Strawberries (Chopped)

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180c / 350f and line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.

In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and coffee powder.

In a separate mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.

Then add the egg and vanilla (and strawberry flavouring if you are using it).

Then stir in the dry ingredients, followed by the chopped strawberries.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop dollops of the dough and place them onto the baking sheets.

Flatten the tops with the back of a spoon then bake for 12-15 minutes.

Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.

Then move them onto a wire cooling rack to cool fully before eating (if they last that long)



19 comments:

  1. oh these looks fabulous! and decadent!! I wish I could get these as pressies! Where did you get the strawberry flavouring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy, I got it from my local costcutter but haven't seen it anywhere else. I think it was just luck that I came across it

      Delete
  2. So yummy, what a perfect Valentine treat! I am your newest follower!
    Christi
    http://the-not-so-perfect-momblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christi thankyou for the lovely comment and thankyou so much for the follow it's very much appreciated :D

      Delete
  3. OMG! i just saw a pic of one of your goodies and went to your site and got so excited, i immediately had to follow you! my 5yo grnddtr and 4yo grndson both love to bake goodies with me everytime they come to my house, a couple times a week, they are gonna love your site too! tx for sharing! aloha, angi in hana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thankyou so much :D i really appreciate the follow and hope you find some yummy recipes to make with your grandkids :D

      Delete
  4. What a great combination of flavors. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to get these as a gift! Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good!.. I love chocolate and strawberries together. You yummy recipe is today's Dare to Share Feature of the Day.

    http://www.pamspartyandpracticaltips.com/2013/01/chocolate-and-strawberry-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinning these!!!

    Newest follower from GYB Hop. Would love for you to follow back at toddlindsey.com!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Where did you get the fresh strawberries this time of year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) thanks. I got them from one of my local shops, they were very tart though due to the time of year but they worked very well

      Delete
  9. Chocolate and strawberry is the classic Valentine combo! I love that you combined them into a cookie! Oh and I am laughing at the irony of the yoga mat as your tablecloth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well I really liked the colour of my yoga mat and thought it would look good with the cookies :D

      Delete
  10. Soooo indulgent Tash. Chocolate strawberries are awesome and in cookie form? Awesomesauce! I like V day. Don't get me wrong, I show love all year around but I like to go all out on V day. Last year I did chocolate strawberries with champagne for breakfast for the giant man-baby. And what did I get... pfffft!

    Anyway, I'm digging these so much I'm featuring them on my blog tonight. :)

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Lisa :D Sounds like my man, they're a bit lacking in the Valentines department.

      Thanks very much for the feature aswell :D

      Delete