Thursday, 3 January 2013

Cinnamon & Almond Blondie Bar


So I got the most exciting parcel through the post yesterday.

I have been dying to get my hands on some Cinnamon chips and my lovely friend Nick, over at The Baking Process was kind enough to send me some when she visited her family in the US over Christmas.

This quite possible may have been the best Christmas present I got, that's how much I really wanted to bake with these.

And they didn't disappoint.

Now I was so desperate to give these a go, and I actually had very little baking food stuff in my cupboards that this recipe is pretty simple.

But totally tasty.

It has a buttery shortcake base and then an almond flavoured blondie chock full of cinnamon chips baked on top.

This blondie bar is nice and thick and chewy and the top has a gorgeous crisp to it.

Yup these are pretty divine.

Yes the festive period is over but it's still winter so we still need cinnamon to warm those cockles right!!??

Cinnamon and Almond Blondie Bar


 Ingredients:

For the Shortcake base:
130g / 1 Cup Plain Flour
113g / 1/2 Cup Butter
30g / 2 Tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

For the Blondie:
113g / 1/2 Cup Butter
160g / 3/4 Cup Soft Light Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp Almond Extract
1 Egg
130g / 1 Cup Plain Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
75g / 1/2 Cup Cinnamon Chips

Method:

Preheat your oven to 160c and line an 8 by 8 brownie tin with Aluminium Foil.

In your mixing bowl beat together your butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

Then add in the vanilla extract.

The slowly add your flour and mix and till it comes together into a soft dough.

Press the dough into the bottom of your lined tin and bake for 10 minutes.

Then set the tin aside to cool.

Now up the heat of your oven to 175c.

In another mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together until, again, light and fluffy.

Then add in your almond extract, followed by the egg. Mix until well combined.

Then fold in your flour till just incorporated, now add your cinnamon chips and stir evenly into your blondie batter.
Pour the batter on top of your cooled shortcake. Spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon.

Now pop it into the oven to bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out virtually clean.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing the blondie bar, then allow it to cool fully before cutting. 
Cinnamon and Almond Blondie Bar

24 comments:

  1. Hello, and thanks for linking up on the GYB hop! I'm enjoying getting to know some new blogs, and reconnecting with ones I've visited before. I'm your newest Twitter and Pinterest follower, and I look forward to getting to know you better :) These blondies look amazing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious - so glad I was able to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I tell you that bag of cinnamon chips, when you open it, smells just like Christmas. Amazing. Thank you again

      Delete
  3. I'm your newest Pinterest follower! Found you on This Gal Cooks :) Do you have a GFC follow button? Would love to follow you that way also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine :D I don't currently have a GFC follow button but I will certainly look into it for you :D

      Delete
  4. This looks SO yummy, Tash! Blondies are my absolute FAVORITE and I use cinnamon in seriously everything! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley, I'm exactly the same - if I can throw some cinnamon in it I certainly will :D

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of cinnamon chips, but they sound lovely..and who needs an excuse for cinnamon? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're an american thing i think Aishah! I had to have a friend post them too me as you can't get them in Ireland but they are gorgeous :D

      Delete
  6. Yum, this sounds amazing! Pinning this!

    Chloe
    http://rainbowsandhoneysuckle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious, anything with cinnamon is good in my book.
    Steph
    swtboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I'm the same, total cinnamon fiend!

      Delete
  8. Those look super yummy! Cinnamon chips are one of my favorite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Yup their slowly becoming my fave ingredient aswell .will be gutted when this bag is empty

      Delete
  9. Mmm, what a lot of yummy flavors in that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so so delicious! I am drooling.
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - Hope to see you there again this week with more deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious! Thank you for sharing at All My Bloggy Friends last week. I look forward to seeing what you share this week :)

    ReplyDelete