Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Chocolate Chip and Sesame Muffins

Chocolate Chip and Sesame Muffins

I'm not one to sound ungratefull, so I gratefully ask that you do not judge me for the following content.

Himself has just started work again, every year is always the same. Come mid-october the factories re-open and slowly but surely his work will start at a couple of days a week working their way up to a full 6, sometimes even 7 days a week until potentially next April. The hours can be ridiculous. Some days he could be working from 8am right up until 8pm. Leaving no time to be spent as a family but as always sometimes we have to do things we don't like and I know Paul hates being away from Faith for such a ridiculously long amount of time. In his own words he said 'By the end of the work season she'll be an entirely new person again'. Which is true. A toddler changes so much in a mere matter of a couple of months so after 5-6 months she will seem like a completely different little girl.


So this year the opportunity came up for him to work nights. 6pm till 6-7am in the morning. Meaning he gets to sleep in till about 2-3pm and still get a good couple of hours to spend with his family. Plus with it meaning there's a potential to earn a little more money than taking on day shifts it seemed like a no brainer.

Also the thought of having the TV all to myself in the evenings was pretty enticing. I mean that means no more sitting through 2 hours of football and highlights and all that really boring stuff that 95% of us ladies have to sit through at some point.

What I wasn't anticipating was actually hating being on my own in the evening. I even had a 30 minute conversation with the dog last night and yes I probably looked more than mildly insane.

So even though himself is in the house during the day, he's asleep of course, he needs his sleep otherwise we'd end up with a rather zombie-like Paul who probably wouldn't be able to function.

But it seems to have come down to a toss up between who needs time with him. Myself or Faith and naturally Faith will always win that because she needs time with her daddy and for his own sanity he needs time with her, but I am a bit apprehensive about how to find anytime for just him and myself to be, well to be just us. To have 'Us' time. To have a functioning relationship.

I know I'm lucky that it's only temporary. There are many many other women out there who this is their way of life and I really feel for them, where as before I probably envied them for having so much time for themselves. Who thought just days into this nightshift lark I'd be dying for him to be sitting on the sofa at eight'o'clock in the evening engrossed in his football.


I know he's doing this for us, for his family and I love him for that. Also I know he probably hates it just as much as I do but I know I'm going to find it tough and rather boring at times. I never even noticed how much we talk (I know that sounds crazy) until now, when I've taken to having my evening re-cap conversations with a 3 month old puppy. Not that the dogs hating it as he's now being allowed to sleep on the sofa for an hour or two (Sssshh no one tell Paul that, although I am under strict instruction that Max is not allowed to sleep on our bed. No matter how empty the bed starts to feel. Haha)

So if there are any ladies reading this who have been through or are going through a similar situation, How on earth do you keep your relationship 'Healthy'?.

Anyways I digress. I do have a fabulous recipe for you on this miserable rainy day and who doesn't like a muffin?

With two types of chocolate chips, Milk and dark and a truck load of nutty, toasted sesame seeds which give this muffin a nice crunch. This tasty treat is pretty incredible. The muffin itself is soft and (I hate this word, Don't you?) moist, Dotted with a ridiculous amount of chocolate chips and the crunchy sesame seeds spread all around those chocolatey nuggets of goodness.

They are pretty addictive and they certainly didn't last long in this house. Plus on days like today you need some simple recipes up your sleeve to help keep the kiddies entertained. Am I right?

Chocolate Chip and Sesame Muffins

Makes 12

Ingredients:

110g / 1/2 Cup Butter
140g / 2/3 Cup Caster Sugar
2 Medium Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
75ml / 2 1/2 fl oz Whole Milk
1 Tsp White Vinegar
200g / 1 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
100g / 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
100g / 1/2 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
50g / 1/3 Cup Sesame Seeds, Toasted

Method:

In a bowl whisk together the milk and the vinegar and allow it to rest while you start making your muffin batter.

Preheat your oven to 170c / 325f and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.

In a large mixing bowl beat together your butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.

Then add in your eggs, one at a time. Beating well between each addition followed by the vanilla extract.

Now gently fold in half of your flour and the baking powder until barely incorporated.

Then add the milk, again only mixing until just incorporated followed by the remaining flour.

Now fold in all the chocolate chips and the toasted sesame seeds.

Divide the batter evenly between all  the paper cases and bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.

Remove all the muffins from the tin and allow them to cool on a wire cooling rack.

5 comments:

  1. Not judging you at all, sounds like a difficult time but, like you said, it is temporary. I can't give you any advice at all. But I can give you morale support and I am making an assumption here that loads of us care about you. We have all gotten to know you through your blog, so we are here for you. My husband was a firefighter and I loved having those nightshifts to myself, but I don't think I would have loved them if they had been constant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pat that's so sweet of you. Thankyou for your kind words and your support is really appreciated :D

      Delete
  2. Since I'm not married, I can't really offer any advice, but I am impressed with his unselfishness and how hard you both are working. Tough stuff can leave us closer together than before. On another note, I love how you added sesame seeds! Talk about creative texture! And chocolate chips make all things good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I feel For you. Hubby is away all week in college and work all weekend so we never seen each other. It's very hard on everybody especially my wee boy as he is at this age where his Daddy is everything to him! It was much easier when he was small. Although I do enjoy a bit of peace in the evening and the added bonus of the remote to myself I get very lonely. You will get into a routine and cherish every moment you spend together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from The Cricket Project!

    I wouldn't of thought to mix chocolate chips with sesame seeds. This sounds like an interesting combination. I must say that I am intrigued and plan to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete