Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Chocolate Syrup Fudge Cake

Chocolate Syrup Fudge Cake

So it has been a rather hectic week moving, trying to find places for our things and desperately trying to get the oven working because there are only so many days I can go without baking before I start getting baking withdrawal, which results in moodiness and rather high sugar craving. Much like when weaning yourself of a coffee addiction.


Finally however things are starting to settle down. We still have numerous boxes to unpack but as they are being stored in the spare room (out of sight out of mind, right?) we are in absolutely no panic to go delving into them. The house is finally calm and starting to feel at home and just in time as it's my birthday on Sunday. Yeah that's right I'm going to be another year older, 24 to be exact and I'm starting to get scared of my age. You know 23 sounds relatively young whereas 24. Well that sounds a little too adult for my liking. I know, I know I have a 2 year old child surely that makes me an adult but the thought of turning 24 has me more petrified than the though of giving birth again and I can tell you that is one very unpleasant, not any time soon though. However I'm going to embrace it as much as I can and try not to silently tell myself that I only have 6 years left till I turn 30 and that really by that time I should have things all figured out and not be so fickle when it comes to deciding on some sort of concrete direction for my life.

 Although with all the craziness we've been juggling it kind of feels like we missed Christmas so it doesn't feel like my birthday is a few days away, especially with himself now working the night shift. Whoever said it's great fun when your partner works night shifts because you get the house, TV, bathroom all to yourself was such a liar!

Anyways I digress, So in celebration of my birthday I baked a cake, a chocolate cake. Not any old chocolate cake though. This cake not only has lashings of rich chocolate buttercream in between it's soft, cakey layers but those lovely chocolate sponge cakes have also been soaked in a gorgeous chocolate syrup.

Seriously this cake is ridiculous. You can thank my Orange Syrup Cake for the syrup soaking idea. I mean if orange syrup can make give a cake a crazy, intense orange flavour I thought, hey because a chocolate cake obviously isn't chocolatey enough surely a cocoa based syrup would give it that intense chocolate hit it was severely lacking before.

Also as a New Year gift for you all I've changed my recipe format. So, if you like, you can easily save the recipe as an image and print it out for your own use. Great right, also it makes the page look a lot snazzier than before. I am looking at a way of including some sort of print button so you don't even have to save it as an image but as I'm ridiculously less than tech savvy it's going to take me a while to get my head round it.

Chocolate Syrup Fudge Cake Recipe Card

8 comments:

  1. I really like the photo and the recipe! I was surprised how clear and easy it was to read! I've been wanting to bake a cake, like a real layered one, for a long time, and what better flavor than fudge? Looks so chocolatey and rich! I hope the rest of the moving in process isn't stressful and that your birthday is the best yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much Mary, my photography tends to ere on the side of fluke so I was very impressed I managed to catch this one. Well you should definitely try this one although it's definitely not a cake you could eat all to yourself haha

      Delete
  2. Psh! 24! You're still a youngin'! Try 26. That's 4 years from 30! Ugh. I know its just a number, but I'm not looking forward to it! :(

    Also, I know I already said this, but I want to dive into this cake! It looks so moist and chocolate-y! YUM! Enjoy your last moments as a 23 year old! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha 'youngin' that made me giggle. I know I think running round after a 2 year old has me feeling about 40 haha. Hope you had a lovely birthday yourself :D

      Delete
  3. Loving that new image file for the recipe! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks really good, and my kids love chocolate syrup so I think they would really love to try this.. Don't worry about your age! As you get older you will find that at the times, when you "thought" you were old, you were actually really still very young. I can say that because I am old enough to be your mom, and still feel young. :) And before I forget... You are today's Dare to Share Feature of the Day! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Pam for featuring me that's so exciting :D

      Delete