Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Chocolate and Cherry Cookies

chocolate and cherry cookies


So.....Hey, remember me. I know, I know it's been a long time since I was here. In fact as my dad kindly reminded me the other day it was actually March.

To be quite frank I lost my baking mojo. After our loss in January I just stopped caring, I really didn't see any importance left in my blog. I almost felt like it was no longer relevant to me and that forcing myself to write about a recipe I actually felt like I didn't care about was tortuous to say the least.

This lovely little blog of mine had gone from my happy little corner of the sprinkle laden Internet to a plain annoyance that I really had no interest in visiting and honestly I can count the number of times on my hand that I have visited my own blog in the last few months.


We did however have some fabulous news, we found out a couple of months ago that we were pregnant again!! Honestly this drew me further away from the blog. I spent right up until my 12 week point holding my breath, I didn't even realise this until that mark came and went and I felt a real release of tension off my shoulders. We are now 13 weeks and 4 days along and I felt it was time to reconnect.


I'll admit that perhaps my baking schedule wont be as structured as before. I'm hoping to have one recipe a week for you lovely guys but if I have a week where I don't have a recipe I'm thrilled with I'm not going to be worrying about having to have one up.

With my new relationship with my blog, I'm thinking it needs a bit of a face lift as well so don't be alarmed if things seem a little all over the place in the following few days. Business is almost back to usual and honestly it feels good to be back. I've put so much work and time into The Velvet Moon Baker it would have felt like an utter waste if I'd just packed the whole lot in.

I'll be writing more, not just junk that might relate to the recipe I'm popping up and that's exciting. I think I'd felt like I'd run out of things to say and I felt like my blog posts were no longer worthy of anyone reading them. I'm excited now, excited to have a new lease of life when it comes to the blog, excited that I want to write again and I hope you all enjoy what's coming.

So to celebrate this sort of new beginning, baby number 2 and all, I bring you quite possibly the most fabulous cookie I have ever made. No joke....No seriously this cookie is a whole new level of awesomeness. It's the cookie all chocolate cookies dream of being and a cookie you all need to try. Trust me on this...

cherry and chocolate cookies

Makes 12-14 cookies

Ingredients:

200g / 7oz Dark Chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
75g / 1/3 Cup Butter
225g / 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 Medium Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
25g / 5 Tbsp Ground Almonds
150g / 1 1/4 Cup Plain Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
125g / 1/2 Cup Glace Cherries, roughly chopped

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180c/350f and prepare you baking tray by lining it with greaseproof paper.

In a heatproof bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, melt all you chocolate until smooth. Then set it aside to cool.

In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then add in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract.

Now fold in the melted chocolate till well combined.

Gently fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder followed by your glace cherries.

Then take heaped tablespoons of the dough and place it on your baking tray. Leave a good 5 cm between each of the dough 'mounds' to allow for spreading.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, once baked allow them to sit on the tray for a further 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling, or eat them while they are still warm.

10 comments:

  1. A very big welcome back and congratulations on your wonderful news!!!! Fabulous recipe as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Tash! I'm glad you took the break you needed and feel back in the game, so to speak. You are a mom first and that is most important! These cookies look beyond delicious! The chocolate and cherry sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, in so glad in back and actually think blogging makes me a better mum. I mean what child doesn't go crazy for a plate of cookies every week haha

      Delete
  3. I love anything chocolate and cherry! I bet these cookies would be just lovely. Congrats on your big news too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the big news! I can't wait to see more newly-inspired recipes and posts now that you've taken a break. It sounds like you needed one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's totally normal to get overwhelmed and wonder if it's really worth spending all those hours with flour in your hair! But I'm so glad you came back.
    And congrats on the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. at least you listen to dad sometimes and well done for getting back in there xx luv ya x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, what a yummy combination. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete