Sunday, 8 June 2014

Cinnamon Apple Loaf Cake

cinnamon apple loaf cake

I am having some major 'dog-owner' problems. Shedding, seriously what's with all the hair. I grew up with a rather fat lurcher as my pal and I don't remember half as much hair all over the place.

Yet here we are in the midst of the summer, which curiously resembles the winter except the rain is warm rather than bitingly cold, and our wee dog has started shedding like no mans business.

It's extreme! I brush him everyday and come away with 2 or 3 handfuls of hair. Yes every single day. I'm surprised he hasn't started to go bald or started to look like he's suffering from some sort of doggy like alopecia.


I understand he is a mongrel but I was under the impression he was a cross between a Westie and a Jack Russel - that 's what he blatantly looks like and neither of those breeds shed like he is. Someone must have shoved a few Old English Sheepdog genes in there. I honestly believe I could have stuffed a good 4 or 5 pillows by now.

cinnamon apple loaf cake

I wouldn't mind so much but if I don't sweep/hoover every inch of the house 2 times a day I get little hair balls gathering in the corner. It can't be natural. At this stage I'm wishing I was one of those non-dog lovers who instead opt for the company of a goldfish, or a hamster, or a pet rock. Anything that retains it's hair or doesn't have any at all.

But we love our pooch too much to get rid of him purely based on the fact that he seem determined to turn our floors into a rather large collection of hair stuffed mattresses. Bless him, maybe he thinks he's doing us a favour. Sparing us the foot pain of having to walk constantly on wooden floors.

So on pondering what's going on in our snuggly little mutts head as he drops a new coat on my living room floor every morning I baked. Hair free of course.

I know it's summer and the combination of apple and cinnamon are more autumn 'in front of the fire' flavours but this loaf cake was way to delicious to put of sharing with you.

The cake itself was so tender that even after cooling I had to be ever so gentle to cut a perfectly clean slice and with the sweetness of the apple and the spicy, warm hit of the sweet cinnamon its a winner.

Plus it looks pretty cute as well.


cinnamon apple loaf cake

Ingredients:

For the Cake:

75g / 1/3 Cup Butter
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
150g / 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
3 Medium Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Apple / 1 Cup, Chopped
190g / 1 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
50ml Whole Milk

For the Swirl:

25g / 2 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon

Method:

Butter and Line a medium sized loaf tin and preheat your oven to 170c / 340f.

In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, oil and caster sugar until light and fluffy then add in your eggs one at a time until well combined.

Then add in your vanilla extract, your chopped apple and the whole milk.

Sift in all the dry ingredients and gently fold them into the wet mixture until just combined, don't over mix it or it will become tough as it bakes.

In a small container mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.

Spoon in 1/3 of the cake batter and spread it evenly along the bottom of the tin, then sprinkle over half of the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Continue this method until you cover it all with the final 1/3 of the cake batter.

Don't fret if it doesn't look that pretty or even, it'll look pretty once it has baked.

Then pop the cake into the oven and bake it for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and it is a beautiful golden brown colour on top.

Remove it from the tin and allow it to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.


14 comments:

  1. Oh lovely looking cake! I just love loaf cakes, cinnamon and apple sounds like the perfect flavour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't deal with pet hair either. Perhaps you can invest in a Rumba. I have one and love it, because I just push a button and it starts vacuum the whole house. Best of all it gets under the bed and other hard to reach places. Love the cake recipe and will give it a try soon. :) I hope you come and visit me on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that sounds rather intriguing. Oh please do give it a go and let me know how you get on

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks amazing! I would love to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa :D I hope you do it is a lovely cake

      Delete
  4. Looks fabulous! I love apple and cinnamon any time of the year. My dogs do the same. Ginger hairs everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I'm glad it's not just my dog!

      Delete
  5. My pooch is the same, she's molting everywhere this week, My carpet has another carpet of hair on it every morning when I get up! Love the recipe, apple and cinnamon are a winning combination for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so it's not just my mutt then. I love apple and cinnamon as well, something ridiculously comforting in that combination right

      Delete
  6. Haha, I hate doggy shedding. I rectified this with having an Italian Greyhound as my pupster. Seriously, his coat is sooooo short it literally looks like short eyelashes if he does shed a little. And that's his winter coat, LOL! You should save his fur and make a doggy bed out of it, use it as stuffing inside. I'm sure he'd love it since it would stink of him.. literally! :p

    And girl, you don't need an excuse to be posting autumn flavours. Apple and cinnamon are good at any time of the year. In fact, I may even adapt this myself. Looks gorgeous.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about, I'm seriously considering shaving him it would be the cure for my dog hair problem. Oh well I'd love for you to adapt it I'd love to see what fabulous goody you'd come up with

      Delete
  7. I wish I had a helpful tip, but was never allowed to have a dog growing up. So sad!
    I do know a lot about cinnamon, though, and how delicious the swirl in this cake looks! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I couldn't imagine not having a dog while growing up. The cake though was pretty delicious!

      Delete